Miami Dade Economic Advocacy Trust (MDEAT) is currently offering two new programs to assist future home owners and small business. The Homeownership Assistance Program (HAP) is designed to increase the number of first-time home purchases for low-to-moderate income residents living in Miami-Dade County. The zero-interest deferred loan provides funding for first-time homebuyers towards down payment and closing costs, making it easier to get approved for a mortgage. Since 1995, the program has funded more than 648 families.
The maximum allowable financing is $7,250 for households at or below 80 percent of the adjusted gross median income, or $4,750 for households above 80 percent of the adjusted gross median income from the sales prices of the home.
The loan is forgiven if you own and occupy the home for more than 10 years without a cash out refinance on the loan.
Receiving help from MDEAT HAP is as easy as 1-2-3.
Step 1: Attend an Approved HAP Homebuyer Education Course.
Step 2: Contact a Certified HAP Lender to get qualified for a mortgage and HAP funds.
Step 3: Connect with a realtor to guide you through the process of finding a home.
You must contact a HAP certified lender and the lender will apply for MDEAT HAP funds on behalf of the buyer. The buyer is encouraged to maintain contact with the lender throughout the funding process.
• Resident of Miami-Dade County at the time of application with a certified HAP lender
• An annual household income of less than 140 percent of county media income, adjusted for family size
• A first-time homebuyer or have not owned a home or been on the title of a home in the last three years
• In-person attendance at an approved Homebuyer Education Course
• Pay at least one percent of sales price or three percent of sales price from your own funds based on income criteria
• Only a new or existing home: single-family detached home, townhome or condo. Foreclosure REOs and short sales are considered on a case-by-case basis
Visit www.miamidade.gov/EconomicAdvocacyTrust for a list of HAP certified housing counseling agencies