If you’re a member of the Black community, chances are you have, or someone in our immediate family has, diabetes. According to the American Diabetes Association, more than 30.3 million Americans are living with the condition – Black people make up 12.7 percent of those diagnosed and are sec…
This year, Mental Health Awareness Week commenced on Sunday, Oct. 6 and ended on Saturday, Oct. 12. Unless you are actively engaged in the mental health community, the week might have passed without your knowing. Much has been written and much can be said about the love-hate relationship tha…
Next time you’re in a crowded restaurant, walking down a busy street or attending Sunday services, take a long look around and remember this: One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
Halloween can be a great time to put on costumes, meet the neighbors, and enjoy a good scare. As you put out the candy and spooky décor, also make plans to ensure that this holiday is a safe one for your family.
A new study released by the Centers for Disease Control National Center for Health Statistics suggests that racial and ethnic minorities think it is important that their medical provider share or understand their culture. However, the data show patients were less likely to be able to find or…
Have you been having trouble finding a Black primary care doctor? Well, you are not the only one. Across all races and nationalities the demand for primary care doctors is far below the supply. Looking for an African-American or Caribbean-descent primary care doctor out of that shortage can …
North Shore Medical Center hosted a lunch and learn for community members on the prevention and early detection of breast and ovarian cancer in women. The lecture was a part of the hospital’s Breast Cancer Month Awareness campaign. Each attendee received a gift.
- Local teachers, parents voice concerns at education town hall
- Community attends service for Garth Reeves
- UPS driver’s family questions police response to chase
- Who are the Garifuna?
- YNW Melly drops new album from jail
- Humor, conflict folded into 'The Cake'
- 30 years of Carrie P. Meek Entrepreneurial Education Center
- Funding dries up as Black precinct qualifies for national recognition
- What happened to police protocol during shootout and chase?
- Garth Reeves: The last of the old, Old Timers